How to Build Simple Habits to Better Health
Habits are often thought of in negative context – biting nails, skipping meals, going to bed late, smoking, excessive drinking, eating out for lunch…you get my point. But if you add in NEW HEALTHY HABITS you will be on your way to making lasting changes, improving your life, and you will find you don’t have room for those bad habits any longer.
So, what can you do to successfully and easily introduce new habits that will get you on the path to your ultimate goal?
1) Pick ONE habit to focus on daily for 2 weeks. Trying to add multiple habits at a time deceases your chances of success by 50-80%.
2) Start off EASY. Pick something you know you can achieve; ask yourself “how sure am I, on a scale of 1 -10, that I can do this every day for 2 weeks?” For example, If you aren’t sure you can exercise every day for 30 minutes, how about 15 minutes? If you aren’t sure you can eat one-cup of vegetables with every meal, how about 2 meals or 1 meal a day?
3) Make this new habit SPECIFIC. Don’t leave yourself “wiggle room” that will lead to excuses.
4) Be consistent.
5) Keep yourself ACCOUNTABLE by announcing your new habit goal to friends & family, write it down, report your progress daily — whatever you need to do.
6) Be POSITIVE! If you have a setback along the way you just keep going.
After 2 weeks, if you do not feel you have mastered your new habit keep at it for 2 more weeks; if you feel you have mastered it then add in the next new habit for 2 weeks, and so on. You will be well on your way to reaching your goal!